Last academic position:
Director, Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Vienna from 1993-2017
Eric Bergsten sadly passed away on 1 July 2023 after a most distinguished career. The Vienna Convention for the International Sale of Goods (1980) was adopted under his leadership as secretary of UNCITRAL.
He was also awarded the Silver Decoration of Honour by the State of Vienna and the Great Silver Decoration of Honour by the Republic of Austria for his services to state and country.
His leadership within the CISG Advisory Council was instrumental in the development of the Council Opinions. His legacy remains in our memory forever, and we will be always thankful for his commitment to our work.
We are thankfulness for his friendship and collegiality over the years.
Employment and teaching
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Secretary, UNCITRAL and Chief, UN International Trade Law Branch 1985-1991
- Senior Legal Officer, 1975-1985
- New York, 1975-1979
- Vienna, 1979-1991
- Professor of Law, Pace University School of Law since 1992, Emeritus since 1999
- Professor of Law, University of Iowa, 1961-1974
- Visiting Professor of Law, Northwestern University, 1964-1965
- Fordham University, 1991-1992
- Consultant, UNCTAD, International Dispute Resolution Project, 2003
- BS Northwestern University 1953
- JD University of Michigan 1956
- MA Georgetown University 1960
- M Comp L University of Chicago 1961
- D Comp L University of Chicago 1972
- Austrian Arbitration Association
- CISG – Advisory Council 2001-2023
- International Arbitration Institute
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission, Panel of Arbitrators
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution, Special Commendation
- New York State Bar Association, Section of International Law and Practice, Special Award for Distinction in International Law and Affairs
- Vienna, Silbernes Ehrenzeichen des Landes Wien
- Austria, Großen Silbernen Ehrenzeichens, Republik Österreich
- General Editor, International Commercial Arbitration (Oceana Publications, Inc, Dobbs Ferry)
- Community Law in the French Courts: The Law of Treaties in Modern Attire (Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague)
- Numerous articles in various legal publications